For interesting information on flowers, trees and plants please click on this link: http://natureswow2.blogspot.com/

For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa: please click on the following links:
Insects and related species: Antlions - Ants - Bees - Beetles - Bugs - Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars - Centipedes and Millipedes - Cockroaches - Crickets - Dragonflies and Damselflies - Grasshoppers and Katydids - Mantis - Stick Insects - Ticks and Mites - Wasps - Woodlice
Plants, Trees, Flowers: (Note: Unless plants fall into a specific species such as Cacti, they have been classified by their flower colour to make them easier to find) Bonsai - Cacti, Succulents, Aloes, Euplorbia - Ferns and Cycads - Flowers - Fungi, Lichen and Moss - Grass - Trees
Animals, Birds, Reptiles etc.: Animals, Birds, Fish and Crabs - Frogs - Lizards - Scorpions - Snails and Slugs - Snakes - Spiders - Tortoise, Turtles and Terrapins - Whipscorpions
Other photography: Aeroplanes - Cars and Bikes - Travel - Sunrise - Water drops/falls - Sudwala and Sterkfontein Caves etc.
Videos: YouTube

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Frustrating

16Th November 2012


It has been a very busy few days and I have not had time to post or write anything.

The 11 days at Dinonyane were very productive with me recording over 200 species I could name and about 70 I cannot identify yet. A pretty good record as far as I am concerned. I processed and ended up with about 450 pictures out of that lot which I will be posting.


Last night I had something on in Johannesburg which turned out to be not as helpful as I had hoped. It is amazing how places profess to be involved in conservation and which end up being just as far as it suites their own pockets!! Anyway, I am in Pretoria today looking for a place to store my things for a while as my car is really struggling with the weight of everything. I am hoping to find something which will not cost a fortune as my pension does not stretch very far and as it is now already a bread and coffee diet for me, I don’t know what I will live on now but the sacrifice is worth not having my car damaged by the strain because without it, I am totally buggered!!!

Later .......


Oh WOW!! How wonderful friends can be!! When I least expected it, a very special person went to a lot of trouble to make space in his garage for me to store my things in!! I wonder if he realizes how much this has meant to me?? THANK YOU LEON!! I am blessed to have you in my life as my friend!!


17th November 2012

What a wasted day!! I decided to head in a south westerly direction, spent 6 hours driving around and ended back where I started!! SH*T!!!!!!!! Most of the area I looked at has been cleared of bush for farming of one kind or another. Yes, I realize we need farms too but do they have to cut down the trees?? Most animals eat the leaves and seedpods from them but I guess the taste of it might go into the milk and not make it useable for consumption. A wasted day can be very frustrating as it is hot riding around in the car like that. Last night we had a huge storm so it is quite muggy today too.

One of the places I passed and stopped at is where they grow and process mushrooms. I thought it might make an interesting post for my travel series but unfortunately they said I could only go through the place on a weekday and I think it is Saturday??


So, where am I going to head now??? I am not sure but think it might be north east of here. I would love to start my trek down south but I am waiting to hear about something which might require me to be back in Pretoria so I don’t want to go more than about 2 hours drive away.