For interesting information on flowers, trees and plants please click on this link: http://natureswow2.blogspot.com/

For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa: please click on the following links:
Insects and related species: Antlions - Ants - Bees - Beetles - Bugs - Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars - Centipedes and Millipedes - Cockroaches - Crickets - Dragonflies and Damselflies - Grasshoppers and Katydids - Mantis - Stick Insects - Ticks and Mites - Wasps - Woodlice
Plants, Trees, Flowers: (Note: Unless plants fall into a specific species such as Cacti, they have been classified by their flower colour to make them easier to find) Bonsai - Cacti, Succulents, Aloes, Euplorbia - Ferns and Cycads - Flowers - Fungi, Lichen and Moss - Grass - Trees
Animals, Birds, Reptiles etc.: Animals, Birds, Fish and Crabs - Frogs - Lizards - Scorpions - Snails and Slugs - Snakes - Spiders - Tortoise, Turtles and Terrapins - Whipscorpions
Other photography: Aeroplanes - Cars and Bikes - Travel - Sunrise - Water drops/falls - Sudwala and Sterkfontein Caves etc.
Videos: YouTube

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Odds and Ends - Part 12

I am always trying to get a good shot of the moon without much success. Seems like I am good at small, close-up stuff but not large, distant stuff. Maybe it is because I have a lousy lens? Anyway, this is about as good as it gets for me. :)
One night I was trying again and managed to get the leaves of a plant against its background which did not look too bad.
I have no idea what plant this is. It is small and almost like a ground cover but with very hairy leaves which the ants seem to love for some reason.
Poor little locust!! So shy and trying to hide away from me. I have an idea this might be a Desert Locust which are quite common here in our gardens and is of medium size.
This was the srtangest fungi I have seen. It does not have a stem at all so grows very close to the ground and reminded me of potatoes.
They grow as a family and these were almost hidden by the grass. The largest of them (below) is about 5 inches in diameter and very spongy.
This stinkbug has spent the whole winter inside my lounge against the wall and between the bricks. Even with me taking the camera close to it, there was no movement. The days are getting warmer so soon I expect it to move back outside.

No comments: