For interesting information on flowers, trees and plants please click on this link: http://natureswow2.blogspot.com/

For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa: please click on the following links:
Insects and related species: Antlions - Ants - Bees - Beetles - Bugs - Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars - Centipedes and Millipedes - Cockroaches - Crickets - Dragonflies and Damselflies - Grasshoppers and Katydids - Mantis - Stick Insects - Ticks and Mites - Wasps - Woodlice
Plants, Trees, Flowers: (Note: Unless plants fall into a specific species such as Cacti, they have been classified by their flower colour to make them easier to find) Bonsai - Cacti, Succulents, Aloes, Euplorbia - Ferns and Cycads - Flowers - Fungi, Lichen and Moss - Grass - Trees
Animals, Birds, Reptiles etc.: Animals, Birds, Fish and Crabs - Frogs - Lizards - Scorpions - Snails and Slugs - Snakes - Spiders - Tortoise, Turtles and Terrapins - Whipscorpions
Other photography: Aeroplanes - Cars and Bikes - Travel - Sunrise - Water drops/falls - Sudwala and Sterkfontein Caves etc.
Videos: YouTube

Monday, April 21, 2014

SA Diversity Tour (19-23/02/2014) Day 35-39

Badplaas,Scottburg,Leisure Bay

Our next stop was Badplaas again for two nights and as we had already been there before, you can see pictures and information on: http://natureswow.blogspot.com/2014/03/sa-diversity-tour-5022014-day-21.html
We were heading for Port Edward and stopped over at Scottsburg for a night.
The sea at dawn is a constant change of movement and colour and I could not help but take picture after picture of it.
 It was most relaxing to walk on the beach again although the weather had turned chilli and the clouds hid the sun.
Situated on the R61 near Port Edward is a place you should NOT pass when in the area. In fact, if you are within 50km’s of it, you should make the detour to go there. It is called Mac Banana and is one of those places where the whole family can spend the day. They have a HUGE shop which sells homemade jams/jellies, sweets/candy, fruit, wine etc. There is a beautiful butterfly farm and many activities for the children.
Best of all, Leon turned me onto their coffee shop and although he told me about the place, he should have warned me NOT to go there if you are very hungry as the variety of things on the menu, took me at least half an hour to decide what I wanted and believe me, I wanted it ALL!! LOL!!
The pancakes are COLLOSSAL!! First I had to decide if I wanted one with a sweet or savoury filling. Next I had to decide which filling!! Almost an impossible task deciding. In the end my growling stomach told me to settle on something fast as it was getting late and I had not eaten since early morning.
My choice was a fresh pineapple shake which was out of this world and totally divine accompanied by a savoury mince/ground beef pancake. It is served with a salad and needless to say, I had to take half of it home in a doggie bag as it was miles too much to eat in one sitting for me so guess what I am having for breakfast? J
After gorging myself and very reluctant to leave, we stopped over at a beautiful caravan park called Leisure View in Leisure Bay. (Please click on their name to go to their webite. It is one of the greatest caravan parks I have been to so do visit.)
It is situated on a hill overlooking the sea and the gardens are really beautiful with large camping sites.
They also have a conference centre and the ablution block is very neat and clean.
It is a short drive down to the beach and although misty can cold, we took time to take some pictures.
I found a beautiful Spittal Bug too.

The following morning I took Gaelyn to follow the Fossil Trail in Port Edward. As I have already blogged about it, more can be read on: http://natureswow.blogspot.com/2013/05/petrified-forest-tour-port-edward.html

1 comment:

Gaelyn said...

More wonderful memories. I WANT to go back to Mac Banana!